New Jersey State Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
American Bar Association

Nursing Home Abuse

Aging is a fact of life, and there may come a time in an elderly person’s life when he or she will have to move into a nursing home, a residential care facility, or another kind of long-term care facility. A nursing home is supposed to be a place where an elderly or sick person can get the care and treatment that he or she needs. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and it can be devastating to discover that the nursing home staff that you entrusted with the care of your mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, aunt, or uncle has been abusive or neglectful. Because of old age or poor health, your elderly relative or friend may be unable to report the abuse or neglect, which could allow these incidents to continue.

Nursing abuse occurs when a doctor, nurse, another staff member, or a resident at a nursing home intentionally inflicts mental, physical, or sexual harm on an elderly resident. Nursing negligence can take place when the staff neglects to properly care for an elderly person due to lack of supervision, substandard care, mismanagement, or medical neglect.

Some Possible Symptoms of Nursing Abuse or Negligence:

  • Unexplained cuts, bruises, or broken bones
  • Sudden falls
  • Malnutrition
  • Overmedication or sedation
  • Unexpected weight gain or weight loss
  • Poor personal hygiene
  • Damage to the sexual or anal regions of the body—possibly because of rape or sexual assault
  • Bedsores
  • Dehydration
  • Death

If you have gone to a nursing home to visit your loved one and you suspect that he or she has been a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, you must report the incident right away so that the abuse and neglect can stop. You should also speak to a personal injury lawyer who can help you assess the situation and, if you do have a case, help you file a personal injury claim.

John M. Kenney P.C. is a personal injury law firm that is committed to helping people recover compensation for their injuries that are a result of neglect, carelessness, lack of action, or malice by another person, a business, or another entity. Our team of personal injury lawyers can help you with your nursing home abuse lawsuit or wrongful death claim so that the parties that violated the dignity and rights of your loved one can be held accountable for their actions. Although financial compensation cannot erase the abuse or neglect that your elderly friend or loved one has experienced, it can help cover medical costs to so that he or she has the resources to recover from any injuries while receiving some acknowledgement of the pain and suffering that was experienced.

Please call (215) 547-3031 to schedule your free consultation with Attorney John M. Kenney or contact us online. John M. Kenney, P.C. is located in Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania.

Client Reviews
John was able to help us with an emergency with my dad, we needed a poa ASAP, he drew up the paperwork and even came to the hospital to meet and witness what he needed to. Ge was personable to my dad and explained everything to him and us. Definitely recommend him to anyone, he gets the job done promptly and professionally. Thanks again so very much! John Killgore
I thought I could handle my divorce by completing all my forms on my own. Well, I was wrong and the courts couldn't tell me what I did wrong. After 2 years of going back and forth trying to figure out what I did wrong, I decided to hand it over to a professional/lawyer. I found John on a Google search. I was able to get an appointment right away with him. He was able to work around my schedule. John took control of everything and and within 3 weeks my divorce was completed. I would definitely recommend him to friends and family Joanna Kane
Mr. Kenney provided me with top notch service within a very in small window to represent me. Mr. Kenny represented me in a very complex custody case in the state of PA. Mr. Kenny was very knowledgeable, patient, attentive, assertive, reliable, and has a great reputation. I would strong recommend Mr. Kenny as your future attorney to represent you in the state of PA/NJ. Make no hesitation and call him today, you will not be disappointed. April Harrison